Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Evaluation: Representation

My music magazine represents youth through the photographs I have used. The subjects of my images are wearing stylish clothes that they feel comfortable in, and which reflect who they are, and the kind of music they enjoy. In most of the images I have used, the subjects are looking directly at the camera, this helps to make the viewer feel included, and this helps them to relate to the image. In some of the used images the subjects are smiling, this shows a representation of youth having fun, however in some of the images the subjects look slightly aggressive, showing that youth can be rebellious. I have used slang to represent the language of my chosen target audience. I have implied that youth who are interested in indie, rock, screamo, and electro music have longer hair, and like bright colours like red and yellow alongside black for schemes on their music magazine. They are interested in new music, gigs and generally having fun. I feel I have slightly reinforced some ideas of stereotypes in this way, but I do feel I have undermined representations of females, as I have shown them as being quite confident, and in one of my images, slightly aggressive, rather than the usual idea that females are shy and quiet.

No comments: